My Life is the Lord's

Saturday, November 25, 2006

To the Public

Recently I have had some issues with the things that are being enforced at FBCLA’s youth group, with the leadership. I then realized that these issues were symptomatic of the church in question. The Theology of the Church as a Whole can be Driven and Reasoned using Fallacies. Fallacies are very real and dangerous breakdowns in logic. Some of the biggest political blunders were caused by fallacies, like the Bay of Pigs. Regular readers will remember that I am quite fond of fallacy-free logic, as are most people.

The first thing is that FBCLA does not seem to understand that just because the Bible has a warning against something doesn’t mean doing it is a sin to do that thing which you were warned against. But we’ll get to that later. The second thing is that

Particularly in the case of II Corinthians 6:14, where does that verse say “this verse is talking about Marriage”? It doesn’t. You interpreted it to say that. It’s an obvious it is though, right? Sure. It is so obvious to you, that you’re willing to preach it on Sunday Morning. There is nothing wrong with that. Others will say that it’s about any relationship that has the potential to be life long. That’s a fine interpretation. There’s nothing wrong with it. I’m actually in agreement with the interpretation! But that’s not what FBCers believe. They believe that it’s a sin to date/be good friends with/marry etc. a non-believer. Hmm. If it was a sin, then Jesus would have said something about it. Paul has no right to lay out how God judges sin. Only God has the power to decide, and if you say that God said it through Paul then you are once again using a fallacy.

This is a direct reflection that I am just not taken seriously. I am serious musician and it took me years to convey that. My wishes for the sound and integrity of the music are not important though, but for many years my drum set, a very expensive piece of equipment, was replaced by a drum set that has nearly no nice qualities about it, even though I willingly offer to keep it and leave it there. I have written scores and scores of orchestral music and yet none of it would be considered because I am not taken seriously. I am a goofball, I like to have a goodtime, I say things that are hysterical and unbelievable for the reaction of making people laugh. I’ve pulled elongated and elaborate pranks, and lead people out of their security to fool them and make them laugh. But I am a serious person. I have talents, desires, brains and convictions. I have the Holy Spirit, a relationship with God that is immovable, an understanding of scripture that is unique and insightful and enlightening to me and my peers, I have lived more then nearly all people my age and I have enough life experience to know what a drastic response is and what a restrained response is.

Another trend is that when I screw up all of my works and deeds are immediately discredited. That is unfair, unbiblical and very unchristian. I’ve chosen to measure my spiritual growth on a stick, not a ruler, an endless stick. If you fall of the stick during your growth, you don’t start over, you continue onward from where you fell off. God honors your past and blesses you when you make mistakes.

I love FBCLA. Without that Church I may never have accepted the Lord. I never would have grown as much as I did in such little time. Evan Winslow, David Wilson, Kelsey Sullivan, Bobby Blakey, Andrew Keuer and Ty Sager are all names I will never forget because of how much I grew while knowing them and fellowshipping with them. It is church with much foundation in the word and has lots of great people leading, Derek Brown being one of them. I will respect their ministry, beliefs, philosophies as long as they respect others who are Biblical and upright. I mean that with my whole body and soul.

I have decided that because my personal ministry is not wanted at FBCLA, High Point or Worship Café, I am not taken seriously, and my spiritual integrity and maturity/biblical knowledge/leadership capability/and love for Jesus is all being questioned by mentors and peers alike I want to start a ministry of my own. It will be geared towards teens and young adults to focus on their relationship with God. I want it to bear fruits, like I do. And I’m not being arrogant when I say that, I’m trying to be honest. This ministry is not a church in the modern sense; it is simply a group of believers. That is what I want.

I want a church that isn’t extremely biased against different Biblical approaches to things, is willing to let live and learn even if they feel that strongly it is wrong- they should know what’s destructive and what isn’t and complete retort without understanding in any case is just wrong unless it is a very ugly scenario.

That’s what I think, and I hope you understand.

God Bless,

Drew Dominguez

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home